I'm a bit embarrassed about this but maybe someone here has an idea that is better than manually trying drivers until one works.
I updated my graphics driver to the recent version, 436.30 for win7 64 assuming that nothing bad would happen since that time surely is over. I don't even looked which driver version i was using until then.
Since then my PPS Sieve tasks are running a bit more consistent and faster in runtime but they use a full cpu core instead of about a fifth while making the whole system lag. While the performance boost is nice it totally beats the 'running in background all the time while not running other demanding gpu tasks' thing.
Before that i didn't even bother to pause the gpu tasks for less demanding games because it just was no issue, just slower computation and still good performance ingame. The only reason to pause was playing demanding games and watching movies with MPC plus MadVR due to the gpu intense upscaling.
Now even browsing comes to the point where i have to pause gpu computing because it takes several seconds from time to time to refresh a page or continue scrolling down.
Does someone know a solution to this that doesn't involve downgrading drivers until one works? Changing Project would also be ok, but when i tested the last time (quite some time ago) PPS sieve was the best compromise between utilizing the hardware, getting points (as simplified 'work done' measurement) and less impact during crunching (in fact near to no impact during normal desktop work)
Just crunching only during idle time is not what i want since that would sharply decrease runtime and would not solve the problem. Laggy music or video after a few minutes without userinput is not really better. Sorry if this sounds awkward but i got such 'simple and obvious' suggestions in the past which just don't help the goal of using unused computation potential. I don't want to turn it off, i want it to run fine again :/
System Info: Win7 64, nvidia 1070, 32 gb ram, boinc data on ssd with 13 gb free usable space for boinc
so i doubt it's an environment or hardware issue but solely the driver update